18 Everyday Uses For 20 Mule Team Borax
Have you ever used 20 Mule Team Borax? I used it when my oldest was a baby. I used it in her cloth diaper pail. Yeah, I tried the whole cloth diaper thing… with the first one! The other three wore disposable, for sure!
But, I hadn’t tried it again until recently.
According to Wikipedia Borax is:
Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. Powdered borax is white, consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve in water.
The product is named after the 20-mule teams that were used by William Tell Coleman’s company to move borax out of Death Valley, California, to the nearest rail spur between 1883 and 1889.
You Might Also Like: 11 MORE 20 Mule Team Borax Uses
20 Mule Team Borax is a brand of borax used as a cleaner and is manufactured by The Dial Corporation.
- 100% Natural Mineral. Once it’s removed from the ground, it’s washed, dried, and boxed for purchase
- The evaporation of seasonal lakes produces it
- There is NOTHING added, no chlorine, no phosphates, no other added chemicals
- It naturally softens hard water, which maximizes your detergent cleaning power
- Keeps stains from being re-deposited on the clothes in your wash
Frequently Asked Questions About 20 Mule Team Borax
What Is 20 Mule Team Borax Made Of?
Here are the 20 Mule Team Borax ingredients as listed on the box:
Sodium Tetraborate (a natural mineral).
That’s what is in Borax 20 Mule Team It’s actually 95% Boron, mixed with sodium and oxygen, and is mined in California. Mule Team Borax powder takes the Boron and makes it into a powder that is easy to use for so many things.
Why Has Borax Been Banned?
People have heard that it was banned, but that was only for food. The FDA banned its use as a food additive. According to the manufacturer, for cleaning and other uses, 20 Mule Team products are perfectly safe. And can even be bought on Amazon.
Do They Still Make 20 Mule Team Borax?
You Might Also Like: Walmart Grocery Pickup: The Pros and Cons
Is 20 Mule Team Borax Pure Borax?
To answer the question: “is 20 Mule Team Borax the same as Borax?”. No, it is not the same, “20 mule team borax” is not pure boric acid.
Pure boric acid crystals ground extremely fine is not for laundry purposes. The compound is considered salt and actually shares many chemical properties with average table salt. 20 Mule Team Borax refines the the Borax that comes fine and is is mined and makes it into a powder we can use for many purposes.
Can I Mix Borax And Vinegar?
People ask this because mixing chemicals can often lead to poisonous gases or explosions of sort.
However, mixing vinegar and Borax Mule Team makes a great combo cleaning agent and is safe to mix as it doesn’t explode or emit noxious fumes.
I also found out years ago that Borax powder 20 Mule Team is good for many other uses than just cleaning clothes, as well. You can use it to clean and freshen things all over your house.
20 Mule Team Borax How To Use?
There are many different Mule Team Borax uses. We discuss a few other answers to what is 20 Mule Team Borax good for below.
Does 20 Mule Team Borax Kill Ants?
It works at killing soft-bodied insects because it causes cuts to their soft exoskeletons, which eventually will make them die. It works much like Diatomaceous Earth – DE.
Diatomaceous earth – also known as D.E., diatomite, or kieselgur/kieselguhr – is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 3 μm to more than 1 mm, but typically 10 to 200 μm.
One use I found especially helpful and interesting was years ago when we lived in what we called “the country,” and our dogs got fleas. We had a terrible time getting rid of them and keeping them out of the house.
A friend told me that she accidentally found that 20 Mule Team Borax is great for getting rid of fleas. She had used it to clean her kitchen floors. She neglected to clean under the kitchen table and found fleas under the table and nowhere else.
She also told me that she had tried sugar with 20 Mule Team Borax ants, which worked for those as well!
Who knew you could use 20 Mule Team Borax for fleas or ants?
20 Mule Team Borax Uses?
Here are 18 other uses for 20 Mule Team Borax:
- Restore shine to your china: use a 1/2 cup in your dishwater to restore the shine
2. Cut down on water spots in the dishwasher: add 1 tablespoon in the detergent cup.
3. Mix with water to clean your aluminum pots and pans.
4. Remove stains from carpet: mix into a paste, rub into the stain, let dry, vacuum
5. Liquid carpet stains: mix 1 cup 1/2 and 1/2 with water. pour on the stain, blot liquid, repeat until the stain disappears
6. Fresh Smelling carpet: spray a mist of water, and sprinkle Borax 20 Mule Team on the carpet. When dry, vacuum
7. You can use 20 Mule Team Borax for roaches & ants: mix with a small amount of powdered sugar, leave in problem areas insects will eat it and then die from the gas caused by the mixture
8. Kills fleas: sprinkle 20Mule Team Borax on floors, leave for an hour, then remove
9. Clears drains: mix 1 cup with boiling water, pour down the drain. Clogs will disappear
10. Cat Litter Box odor: mix in with litter when changed
11. Odors in mattresses and furniture (including urine): wet areas, add twenty Mule Team Borax, wait until dry, vacuum
12. Trash can odor: Add a small amount to the bottom of trash cans to keep them smelling fresh
13. Soften Hard Water which can make shampoos and soaps less effective.
14. Keep Toilet bowl clean & fresh: add 1/2 cup to toilet, let it sit for 1 hour, clean normally
15. Sprinkle on floors near baseboards to repel mice
16. Mix 2 tablespoons 20-Mule Team Borax, 2 tablespoons lemon juice in 2 cups hot water to remove rust
17. Put 3 tablespoons in the garbage disposal, let stand 1 hour, then flush with water to keep it fresh smelling
18. Sprinkle on weeds to kill them, taking care not to get on wanted plants
You Might Also Like: What Is Amazon Household And How To Use It
If you’re looking for a way to kill ants, fleas, and roaches, prevent mold, clear a drain, wash clothes, and more, then try 20 Mule Team Borax pest control! You won’t be disappointed.
I have found that it works better than an exterminator, and it’s much less expensive for all of the uses listed above than the cost of items to fix each of those issues.
Do you have any other uses or tips for 20 Mule Team Borax?
Share them with us!
Have You Seen These?:
- Buy 1 Get 1 Free Printable Coupon Chart
- Fluz App Referral Tutorial
- Mexican Pile Ons Recipe
- Recipe For Bulk Pancakes Mix
- Penny Shopping Home Depot
- Want to Know How To Shop For Free?
- Crafts Made With Pool Noodle Dollar Tree
- The Peppa Pig Kitchen Playset Is The Perfect Gift For A Kid In Your Life
- Family Dollar Lazy Susan
- Dollar Store DIY Crafts