Household cleaners can be so expensive and sometimes I even have trouble finding what I need, these days. My solution is to have homemade household cleaners recipes for everyday cleaners so I don’t have to rely on pricing changes, inventory problems, and in some cases just not knowing what’s in them and how those ingredients can affect my family.
Let’s take a look at 5 super easy recipes you can have on hand, too.
But first, (Big Brother fans… lol) I want to say even if you don’t want to use these on the regular – it would be good to keep the supplies on hand so that if there is ever an issue and you need to make these you know you have the supplies.
Here is a list of the supplies you’ll need to keep on hand for all of these DIY cleaning sprays and cleaners:
- Washing Soda
- Ivory Soap
- Fels Naptha Soap
- Baking Soda
- Fabric Softener
- Distilled White Vinegar
- Dawn Dish Soap
Now there you have it, just keep these on hand and you’re all set, just in case you need them.
5 Easy Homemade Cleansers
When you are working toward staying in budget and saving money you quickly realize that basic household supplies play a huge part in where your money goes.
Here are 5 Easy Homemade Cleansers including the classic homemade powdered laundry detergent, an all purpose cleaner, fabric softener and even a stove top cleaner for counters, stoves and more.
You Might Also Like: 10 Bathroom Cleaning Hacks Everyone Needs to Know
1. How To Make Homemade Powder Laundry Detergent:
- Grate Ivory and Fels Naptha soap with cheese grater.
- Pour into food processor or blender and pulse until fine powder.
- Mix together with washing soda and borax
- Store in an air tight container
2. How To Make Homemade All Purpose Abrasive Cleaner:
- 1 part water
- 2 parts Baking Soda
- Mix together to form a paste
- Scrub using scouring pad on surfaces like stove tops, bathtubs, sinks, and counters with stains.
3. How To Make Homemade Fabric Refresher:
- Mix fabric softener and baking soda together in 32 oz bottle
- Fill with water
- Gently shake to mix well
- Spritz on fabric needing refreshing
- *Will likely need to shake before each use to make sure contents have not settled
4. How To Make Homemade All Purpose Spray Cleanser:
- Heat 1 cup vinegar in microwave for 35 seconds (or until hot but not boiling)
- Mix 1 cup dawn dish soap with vinegar
- Pour into spray bottle
- Top off with 1 cup water
- Shake to mix well
- Spray on counters, shower, tub, sinks, etc.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes
- Wipe off.
- The soap may cause suds so if preferred can rinse after with just water to get rid of any extra suds or soap film remaining.
You Might Also Like: 19 Household Best Deep Cleaning Hacks Try These Today
5. How To Make Homemade Fabric Softener:
- 1/2 Bottle Hair Conditioner (we use the free (with coupon deals) or cheapest kind in a fun “clean” scent)
- 2/3 cups White Vinegar
- 4 Cups Hot Water
- Heat water
- Mix in conditioner whisking until well blended and no lumps remaining
- Add vinegar and mix well
- Pour into air tight container/jar
- Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry
- Can use in laundry “ball” if desired
As you can see these are all simple and inexpensive items to make. Not only do you cut back on the cost of your household supplies, but you are also able to make use of coupon deals and stockpile items like vinegar, dish soap and hair conditioner.
These products are also great for those who have allergies or are concerned about what chemicals their kids and family are exposed to when cleaning. Make one or all of these 5 Easy Homemade Cleansers this week to help your dollar stretch farther this year.