FREE USA Film Festival 32nd Annual KidFilm® Festival In Dallas!
January 23-24, 2016
DALLAS – The USA Film Festival announces the schedule of events for the 32nd annual KidFilm® Festival taking place Saturday, January 23 and Sunday,
January 24, 2016 at the Angelika Film Center, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane, Dallas. All programs will be presented FREE to the community.
KidFilm is the oldest and largest-attended children’s film festival in the United States, featuring an entertaining, educational, and diverse line-up of new and classic films for both children and adults.
KidFilm is an annual outreach program of the USA Film Festival/Dallas, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the recognition and promotion of excellence in the film and video arts.
Honorary Co-Chairs for KidFilm are USA Film Festival Board of Directors members Belinda Dabliz, Laura Williamson, Kristin Schor and Yvette Ostolaza. “We are so pleased to be able to offer this year’s program as a FREE admission event thanks to support from the City of Dallas Office of Cultural Affairs and from the Festival’s Sponsors,” said Schor.
This year, the Festival pays tribute to favorite children’s book authors, celebrates diversity, the power of music and rhyming, classic fairy tales, magical journeys, and salutes environmental activism with a program featuring live action and animation, short films and feature-length works for audiences of any age.
Highlights of this year’s program include:
MEET THE MCMULLANS! — A Tribute to author Kate McMullan and illustrator Jim McMullan. The program will include screenings of several of the McMullan’s books adapted for the screen including I’m Dirty!, I Stink!, I’m Fast! and I’m Brave! followed by a reading with the audience of their new book, “I’m Cool!” FREE copies of “I’m Cool!” will be distributed at the show (while supplies last). After the on screen program, the McMullans will sign books for the audience.
READ-ALONG WITH TAYE DIGGS AND SHANE EVANS! — A Tribute to actor/author Taye Diggs and illustrator Shane Evans. The program will include a “Read-Along” presentation of Digg’s new book, “Mixed Me!” with illustrations by Evans. FREE copies of “Mixed Me!” will be distributed at the show (while supplies last). Following the reading, Diggs and Evans will sign books for the audience.
SING-ALONG WITH LISA LOEB! — A Tribute to singer/songwriter Lisa Loeb with a “Sing-Along” performance by Loeb featuring past favorites from her children’s releases and selections from her new CD of classic nursery rhymes, “Nursery Rhyme Parade!” FREE copies of “Nursery Rhyme Parade!” will be distributed at the show (while supplies last). After the program Lisa will sign mini posters for all kids.
MEET KATHERINE PATERSON! — A Tribute to author Katherine Paterson, award-winning author of contemporary classic young adult novels “Bridge to Terabithia” and “The Great Gilly Hopkins.” The KidFilm program will include a sneak preview of the new live-action feature film The Great Gilly Hopkins, starring Julia Stiles, Kathy Bates, Glenn Close, Billy Magnussen, Octavia Spencer, Bill Cobbs and Sophie Nélisse (The Book Thief) as Gilly Hopkins. An on-stage Q&A with Katherine Paterson and David Paterson (screenwriter) will follow the screening.
- New animated feature films to be presented include the much-anticipated Kung Fu Panda 3 in 3D, the adventurous heroic tale Albert: Up, Up, and Away! (Denmark), and the hilariously surreal anime Satellite Girl and Milk Cow (South Korea).
- A new live-action feature film presentation of the lavish French production of the classic fairytale Beauty and the Beast starring Léa Seydoux, Vincent Cassel and André Dussollier.
- A live puppet presentation will be conducted by filmmaker and puppeteer (and SMU grad) Sarah Nolen following a screening of her new short live-action film Treeples.
- Short film presentations of beloved children books adapted for the screen including A House for Hermit Crab, The Tiny Seed (Eric Carle), Peanut Butter and Jellyfish (Jarrett J. Krosczka), Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs, That is Not a Good Idea! (Mo Willems), and Scaredy Squirrel at Night (Mélanie Watt). The program will be presented by Weston Woods Studios producer Melissa Reilly Ellard. Whole Foods Market Veggie Characters will also be in attendance and will distribute Whole Foods Market Healthy Snack Packs to all children.
- Short film presentations of new animated works and live-action films from around the world.
A full schedule of KidFilm programs may be viewed on the USA Film Festival’s website at www.usafilmfestival.com Printed KidFilm flyers may also be picked up at the Angelika Film Center
Dallas beginning January 13th.
Ticket & Location Information:
Tickets for all shows are FREE for children & adults! Programs are FREE but you must have a ticket for admission; Tickets and seating are limited. Tickets for all shows are available day of show only, beginning one hour before each showtime. For additional information, please call the USA Film Festival at 214-821-FILM (3456) or visit www.usafilmfestival.com. During KidFilm, please inquire in person at the KidFilm Information Desk at the Angelika Film. All programs will take place at the Angelika Film Center, 5321 E. Mockingbird Lane, Dallas. KidFilm is a program of the USA Film Festival/Dallas.