Head Lice Home Remedies
Normally you will see an outbreak of lice somewhere in the school year. It’s never welcome, and it always wreaks havoc on all the family members throughout the whole house. That’s why I was so glad years ago to find this Head Lice Home Remedy.
My kids had it one time, and I shaved my poor little boys’ heads bald! I wasn’t even going to think about anything else. I was a hairdresser for many years, and I don’t DO lice!
You Might Also Like: Earache Home Remedy Tried And True
I decided I never wanted to go down that road again for my child’s hair, and I began to study and find out what works in the prevention as well as how to get rid of a head lice infestation.
I found that lice don’t like the scent of coconut! That was easy enough – I always used Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner for the kids from that time on – we never had them again!
Suave is very frugal and has a coconut shampoo and conditioner, which made it very easy! You can also get coconut oil and use a drop or two in their shampoo. Making this one of my favorite home remedies for lice prevention.
One remedy to get rid of them is mayonnaise! My daughter was in her teens and mortified that her brothers had brought a horrible thing into her life, such as hair lice. She slept in mayo and a shower cap, and that got rid of them. It suffocated them!
That’s another issue you have to deal with – telling friends and family that they may have lice and they got it from your family. Most people think it’s the lice comes from dirty people. Truth be told, lice like clean hair better.
I also had a friend that told me heat kills them, and her daughter (my daughter’s best friend) had dead ones in her hair because of the heat from her flat iron she used every day to style her hair. Good to know! A blow dryer could also work.
Many popular, effective home remedies for lice include petroleum jelly, which is an excellent way to get rid of baby lice or adult lice from your child’s head.
All you need to do is break the hair up into small sections, coat all your kid’s dry hair strands and the child’s scalp with the jelly, place a plastic bag or shower cap over their hair and let the natural remedies sit overnight.
When rinsing, add baby oil to their wet hair to help get the jelly out in the morning. Make sure to comb their hair with a lice comb such as a nit comb to get out all the dead lice as well as the live lice.
Using essential oils is another effective treatment agent for lice. The top oils to use are:
Be sure that before you use this remedy to test if you have any allergic reactions, test the mix on the back of your hand.
You Might Also Like: Everyday Ways To Use Essential Oils
So, stock up on the coconut shampoo, and you should be fine! I would much rather prevent them than have to deal with getting rid of them!
FAQ Head Lice Remedies:
- Q. Is apple cider vinegar good for lice?: No. They found vinegar was actually the least effective treatment method for getting rid of lice or suppressing the hatching of nits
- Q. What smells repel lice?: As we mentioned above coconut does but so do tea tree oil, lavender, eucalyptus, rosemary, lemongrass, and peppermint.
- Q. Does lemon juice work for lice?: No. Using lemon juice to kill lice or nits is totally ineffective.
- Q. How do you get rid of lice fast?: While using one of the methods above wash any items used or worn by the person in hot water, and dry them on high heat. Then vacuum rugs, sofas, upholstery, other furniture, and floors to remove hairs that may have active lice eggs attached, and lastly soak brushes, combs, and other hair accessories in hot, soapy water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Q. What shampoo do lice hate?: Besides using coconut shampoo as we talked about above lice can be prevented due to the same antiseptic properties through the use of lavender shampoo or by adding lavender oil to other shampoos.
- Q. How long do you leave coconut oil in your hair?: Allow the coconut oil to sit on your hair overnight
- Q. Do braids prevent lice?: Any braid type that keeps your hair pulled back and contained is perfect for helping to prevent your contact with head lice.
- Q. Does your hair smell when you have lice? Yes, even after removal from the hair, the lice leave a scent behind that attracts other lice.
- Q. How do you keep lice eggs from hatching?: Physically remove each one, one at a time. In order to remove nits, use a metal nit comb or, if you do not have access to one, your fingertips.
- Q. Is it better to comb lice out of wet or dry hair?: The most reliable way to check is to wet comb because soaking wet lice stay still.
Do you have any head lice prevention home remedies? Don’t keep them to yourself! Share them with everyone in the comments below!