T’s back with another fun Tip for today – Homemade Funnel Cakes – her favorite state fair foods – you can make your own homemade funnel cake right from your very own kitchen with this easy funnel cake recipe.
Homemade Funnel Cakes
Every year the State Fair of Texas (you will often also find this fun treat at your State Fairs or local theme parks if you’ve never had one) comes to town and ever year I choose not to go. I only want the delicious funnel cake and Fletchers Corn Dogs.
Instead of spending a ton of money at an amusement parks just so I can have one when I want it, I am making fair food at home.
You Might Also Like: Super Simple Last Minute Bake Sale Recipes
Today we are making an easy Funnel Cake recipe. You will need:
Let’s get started:
You will also need a few inches of oil for frying, paper towel(s) for draining, and powdered sugar (or fruit) for topping.
- Beat one egg and put it into the mixer
- To the egg, add 2/3 cup of milk
- In a separate medium bowl or large bowl, sift together your 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/3 cup flour, and 2 tbsp. sugar
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients in with the milk and egg mixture wet ingredients while mixing. Your batter will become a slightly thin-looking consistency, if you have thin batter you’re doing it right
- Pour batter (about a cup of batter) into a piping bag (plastic bag with the corner cut off) or pour it into a candy funnel
- You will need a skillet, deep fryer, or Dutch oven filled with vegetable oil on medium heat
- When the temperature of the oil is nice and hot, you will swirl your batter in a circular motion or spiral motion into the hot cooking oil using a pastry bag, funnel (hence the name), plastic squeeze bottle, or a funnel cake stand that looks like a funnel pitcher
- Initially, the batter will sink but will quickly float back to the top
- Let it start the browning process before you flip it over.
- Do not let it brown completely
- You only want a light brown not quite a golden brown because all things fried in oil continue to cook once they are out of the oil.
- This means it will continue to brown when you put it on the napkin and drain the excess oil
- Dust with powdered sugar or top with your favorite toppings (like maple syrup)
- Any remaining batter can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Funnel Cakes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
Q: What is funnel cake made of?
Answer: Crispy funnel cakes recipes are generally made of a simple batter that is then poured into hot oil to form the decorative cakes.
Q: How do you make funnel cakes without a funnel?
Answer: You can use many things to make fried funnel cakes:
Q: What kind of oil do you use for funnel cakes?
Q: Is funnel cake made from pancake batter?
Answer: Yes you can make funnel cake with pancake mix . You can do this because funnel cake batter is a basic dough.
You Might Also Like: Bulk Pancake Mix From Scratch Recipe
Q: How to make funnel cake with pancake mix?
Answer: For a funnel cake recipe with pancake mix you can make it the same as the recipe above.
Q: Can you freeze funnel cakes?
Answer: As we just talked about it’s a lot like pancake batter and just like pancakes, small or large funnel cakes can be frozen and thawed and they still taste great.
Q: How were funnel cakes invented? Who invented funnel cakes? When were funnel cakes invented?
Answer: Funnel cakes were created in the United States and originally came from the Pennsylvania Dutch who called them: drechter kuche which means funnel as that’s how they were made by pouring the dough into the oil through a funnel.
Q: Are funnel cakes and elephant ears the same thing?
Answer: Elephant Ear vs Funnel Cake: the difference between Elephant Ear and Funnel Cake is that a Funnel Cake is light, crisp, lacy, and decorative, and dusted with powdered sugar.
Whereas an Elephant Ear is fried dough that is flat and dusted with cinnamon and sugar (or brown sugar). Both are common treats at the fair.
More You Might Like:
- Printable BOGO Coupon Chart
- Peppa Pigs Little Kitchen Is A Delight To Kids Everywhere
- 20MuleTeamLaundry Booster Tips & Tricks
- DIY Spice Rack Dollar Store Trick
- Penny Shopping At Home Depot
- Dollar Tree Pool Noodles Craft Ideas
- Recipe For Mexican Pile On
- Bulk Pancake Mix Recipe
- Fluz App Tutorial
- How To Grocery Shop For Free
Tamona helps people find legitimate work at home. Along with helping people find work at home, Tamona also loves to share her passion for couponing, crafts, and all things overweight with everyone she meets.