Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cake!
Susan is back with her rendition of a Dr. Pepper Chocolate Cake!
I am enjoying the company of my family this week. My son and daughter-in-law are home from Italy and we are spending as much time together as a family as possible.
Therefore, I am re-posting a recipe today. Hope you don’t mind.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (I am adding in the extra)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- About 2/3 bag of powdered sugar (not a box) How much is that?
- 1 stick real butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- Enough milk for right consistency…roughly 1/4 cup
- 2 tsp. vanilla (this is also a rough estimate because I pour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, sugars, cocoa and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour Dr. Pepper into sauce pan and add chocolate chips. Heat on low, stirring until the chips are just melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and almond extract in mixing bowl and beat on medium for 2 minutes. Gradually add chocolate/Dr. Pepper mixture while mixer is running and beat for another minute. Gradually add the flour/sugar mixture.
- Divide into either two or three pans. I am into frosting, so I like three thinner layers. If you do this, make sure you alter your cooking time. For two layers, it calls for a cooking time of 30-35 minutes but with three layers, I think it only cooked for about 22 minutes. I always set the timer for less time and check it so that I can take it out AS SOON AS POSSIBLE for optimum moisture.
- Freeze the layers before icing..
Hi, my name is Susan and for the most part, I love cooking, watching the Food Network, reading cookbooks and, of course, eating. I am also an artist and spend time each week in my studio (bedroom) oil painting. I am a mother of four and a grandmother to 5 and that, along with my husband and 2 dogs, take up my most of my time. I am a side-tracked Home Executive and I had the privilege of being a stay –at-home mom so, you might say that my passion is the home and making a haven for those I love. I am quite skilled at shopping 🙂 and finding a bargain just makes my day.