Susan is here again to share her Deep Dish Mango Pie recipe with us:
My husband had a birthday last week. He is really old…..haha. My, my, my……he can walk in the door after work and my heart skips a beat……after all these years. This week, we celebrated the anniversary of our first date….36 years ago. That was on February 2nd and I love to hear him tell the story of the first time he laid eyes on me in Chemistry Lab. It took him 6 months to get me to go out with him, but that first “study date”, I knew I wanted to marry him. I have been cooking for him ever since.
I asked him what birthday dessert he wanted this year and he said……Mango Pie. I should have known that by now. When we were young, he would ask for a Black Forest Cake. Then, for a few years, he would ask for this awesome dessert called a Fantastic Dessert (kind of a pudding cake). But ever since he tasted Grady Spears Mango Cobbler, it is his favorite. So, here is my version.
Deep Dish Mango Pie
- About 3.5 cups of mangoes….5 ish
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (cut this down to 3/4 cup for a lower sugar pie)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 pie crusts
- Peel and slice about 5 mangoes.
- Mix the mangoes, flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Lay out a pie crust in a pie plate.
- Pour the mango mixture in to the pie crust and dot with 1/2 stick butter.
- Top with other pie crust. Crimp edges and cut a couple of slits in the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cover with foil for the first hour and uncover the last 15 minutes.
Hi, my name is Susan and I am a mother of four and a grandmother to 5 and that, along with my husband and 2 dogs, take up my most of my time. I am a side-tracked Home Executive and I had the privilege of being a stay –at-home mom so, you might say that my passion is the home and making a haven for those I love.