Mediterranean Spinach Salad with Artichokes and Capers!
Susan is back with a new recipe: Mediterranean Spinach Salad with Artichokes and Capers!
- Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- Jalapeño & Garlic Stuffed Giant Green Olives
- Kirkland’s Pecorino Romano Cheese (big chunk)
- (Dressing not bought at Costco)
If you have a giant jar of artichoke hearts in your refrigerator, you will eat one on every salad and they make a ho hum salad into a tasty treat. Also, chicken paired with artichokes in a lemon butter sauce over pasta is delicious. We discovered this combination of flavors one night simply by accident. You know how it is. You open the frig and start pulling out anything that might be good in a salad. For some reason that night, my husband was making the salad. This is not a common occurrence but you can bet if he is fixing something for dinner, it is because I am not there or had a really stressful day and didn’t get home until late…you get the picture. But it is not to say that he cannot cook because he does a great job when he does. Ever since that night, we have made the same salad over and over because it just really went well together. It reminds me of the Blue Cheese, Walnut and Pear salad. The flavors just work together. Ok….ok….here it is.
MEDITERRANEAN SPINACH SALAD WITH ARTICHOKES AND CAPERS
- 6 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1/3 large red bell pepper
- 1/4 large onion
- 2 tbsp capers
- 4 jalepeno and garlic stuffed giant olives
- 6 quarters marinated artichoke hearts (first washing off the oil)
- 2-4 tbsp fresh Pecorino Romano Cheese (cut in slivers)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2-3 tbsp Brianna Homestyle Asiago Caesar Dressing (This is a must for the flavor!!)
One thing that we do (and you will get big chunks of crunchy goodness) is to keep the pepper and onions in slices instead of chops. The same thing is true of the cheese. If all you have is grated Parmesan, I am sure it would be good but not nearly as good as slicing off some Pecorino Romano from Costco. It is sort of salty and low in calories. I have used it almost daily since I bought it a month ago….even if just a bite.