The Perot Museum of Nature and Science in Dallas is a fascinating place for adults and kids alike There are so many cool things to check out and play with hands-on that kids don’t even realize it’s a learning experience! Their new 2theXtreme Math Exhibit is open through January 4th, 2015:
2theXtreme: MathAlive! is designed to inspire, spark the imagination and reveal not only the math at work, but the infinite possibilities of math. The exhibition brings to life all the mathematics behind what kids love most – video games, sports, fashion, music, space, robotics and more. Innovative technologies and hands-on activities create interactive and immersive experiences that will spark a passion for math and show you the formula for fun. In this 5,000 square foot exhibition, you can freestyle on a snowboard, develop your own video game, attempt an Ollie on a custom skateboard, capture your 360-degree image, challenge a friend in a mountain bike race, operate simulations of NASA’s latest robotics and even design infrastructure for an ecologically sustainable city through nearly 40 unique, interactive experiences. MathAlive! brings math into the worlds of design, engineering, technology and science. Six themed areas with hands-on discovery reveal the relevancy of math to real life: “Outdoor Action,” “Build Your World,” “Future Style,” “Kickin’ It,” “Game Plan,” and “Robotics and Space.” Throughout the exhibit, visitors will be accompanied by fun and energetic virtual guides – the BotZ. With quirky personalities and kid-friendly language, these three math-loving virtual guides make mathematical concepts more accessible to younger visitors. Along the way you’ll meet professionals, visionaries and inspiring personalities from a variety of fields and learn how they use math everyday.
There are so many things to do!
Boardercross: Snowboarding Experience
Jump onto a pivoting snowboard, angle your board and fly over obstacles while racing friends and other guests to the finish line.
Ramp It Up: Build Your Skateboard with POP
Design your own skateboard that performs the best tricks. Determine the shape and length of your board and choose the perfect wheel size then test your skateboard’s ability to perform an Ollie.
Style Revolution: 360-degree Photo Shoot
Strike a pose! Step onto a photo stage and have your image captured in 360 degrees, using the same freeze-motion technique made famous in modern action movies.
Pedal to the Peak: Mountain Bike Challenge
Jump on a stationary bike and compete in a mountain bike race. As you pedal, try to match shaded areas on two combined graphs to gain maxium points.
Get a Grip: Rock Climbing
Test your climbing abilities with a horizontal climb around a rock wall. Measure your height and arm span on this hands-on exhibit.
Race against the clock to develop and program your very own game with a 3D model.
Supertall: Skyscraper Design Studio
Design your own ‘supertall’ skyscraper by making several decisions about the building’s function, structure and design. If your structure passes the test, it will be ‘built’ with simulated time-lapse photography.
Mix It Up: Giant Musical Instrument
Explore the relationship between rhythm and math by adding or subtracting musical elements on a giant super-instrument.
On Target: NASA Robot
Control a viewing camera mounted at the end of a Robotic Arm on the International Space Station.
The Perot Museum has been kind enough to give us tickets to give away, too!
We’re giving away 2 sets of 4 tickets!
1 set of 4 tickets good through 1/4/15
1 set of 4 good 2/14/15 – 3/28/15
How do you win?
Mandatory entry: Just leave a comment telling me which set of tickets you’d like to win!
For extra entries:
1. Sign up to receive Baby Boomer Rants updates in your email <—- Click Here and sign up – then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
2. Follow Baby Boomer Rants on Twitter <—- Click Here and follow us- then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
3. Add Baby Boomer Rants to your RSS Feed <—- Click Here and add us – then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
4. Follow Baby Boomer Rants on Pinterest <—- Click Here and follow us – then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
5. Like Baby Boomer Rants on Facebook <—- Click Here and Like us – then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
6. Tweet this:
I entered to win tickets to the Perot Museum @BabyBoomerRants.com– You Can Enter, Too! http://wp.me/p4sYXy-AF Then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
7. Copy the lines below & post them on your Facebook Status:
I entered to win tickets to the Perot Museum at BabyBoomerRants.com – You Can Enter, Too! http://wp.me/p4sYXy-AF
Then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
You can do #’s 6-7 once daily – just make sure to come back and comment after each time to get an extra entry!
- There will be 2 winners!
- This giveaway will end Saturday, December 23rd, 2014 at 11:59 pm Central time and the winner will be emailed soon thereafter. Make sure you add [email protected] to your address book, so you get the email if you win!
- If the winner does not respond to my email within 24 hours then another winner will be chosen.
- Open to U.S. Residents only.
- Must 18 or over to enter.