I love the holiday season and all the parties, dinner invitations…..decorations. I LOVE the lighted Christmas trees. Yes…plural. I now have one in my reading area….in my bedroom. I didn’t decorate it except with one string of pearls…..and, of course, lights. It is only about 4 feet tall anyway. I like it so much that I think I will keep it up all year. But, I digress. Dinner invitations….had one tonight. Scalloped Potatoes with Cheesy Bechamel Sauce Print Recipe type: Side Dish Author: Susan Root Merritt Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins Total time: 1 hour 45 mins Serves: 8-10 Ingredients
- 6-7 medium potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups Dubliner Cheese (or any cheese that melts well)
- 4 slices American Cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 chicken bullion cubes with a cup of very hot water)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup crumbled Corn Chex (or bread crumbs)
- Slice the potatoes into rounds. Bring a pot of water to boil. Drop the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 6-8 minutes…until a little tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- Béchamel Sauce:
- In a skillet, melt four tbsp of butter. Add the flour and let bubble. Add the milk and stir until smooth, cooking to thicken. Add the cream and then both kinds of cheese. Add the cup of chicken broth and stir. Let it simmer for a couple more minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes in a 9×13 inch pan and dot with 2 tbsp butter. Pour the Béchamel sauce over the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the oven covered in foil for 45 minutes. Take the foil off, top with the Corn Chex crumbs, and cook for another 15 minutes to brown the top.
Hi, my name is Susan and I am a mother of four and a grandmother to 5 and that, along with my husband and 2 dogs, take up my most of my time. I am a side-tracked Home Executive and I had the privilege of being a stay –at-home mom so, you might say that my passion is the home and making a haven for those I love. I am quite skilled at shopping 🙂 and finding a bargain just makes my day.