Bananas can often be found on markdown in the produce department. I never hesitate to buy the marked down bananas since they are perfect for muffins, smoothies or freezing for future use! These muffins are loaded with protein and fiber for a healthy breakfast or snack!
- 15 ounces canned peach halves with juice, drained
- 5 ripe bananas
- 6 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar (For low carb use Splenda or Sugar Twin brown sugar)
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 24 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- Puree peaches and bananas in a food processor.
- Place pureed fruits, egg whites, oil, sugar, brown sugar, and yogurt in a mixing bowl. Beat with electric beaters or by hand until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, wheat germ, flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and beat just until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Makes 24 muffins that freeze well & are loaded in protein (5g) & fiber (2.8g) for a healthy breakfast or a pick-up & go snack!
You can substitute other fruit for the peaches. Try canned mandarin oranges if you don’t have peaches on hand!
Renae is a married working mom of two boys. She is the author of How to Have it All and writes about Kroger Deals, Easy Recipes, Life With Boys and so much more. Join her as she journey’s through motherhood juggling work, raising kids and saving money.